Monday, January 9, 2017

The Whole30 Adventure



Today I start my Whole30 journey. If you haven't heard of Whole30, you can read about the program here.

Basically, you cut out everything except meats, fruits and veggies and a few other add ons and eat as cleanly as possible for 30 days. It's a hard core detox, and then after you're done you slowly add categories back in and see how they effect you.

2016 was really rough for me health-wise. I haven't felt very good, have had a few health scares, and just generally felt blah. I haven't had very much energy or drive, and I have a hard time believing that this is what turning 30 means. I should be vibrant and healthy, not dragging and depressed. I've noticed how addicted to sugar I have been, how having just one glass of wine on occasion hurts my body, and how messed up my metabolism is because I'll get hungry again within 30 minutes of eating a meal, even a big one.

So I decided I was going to do this. When I asked some girlfriends if they had tried it, some either said yes and they loved it and would do it again, or no but they wanted to try. So thankfully I get to be doing this with friends for support and accountability.

I pseudo-started last week, beginning to cut things out but still had the occasional non-compliant meal. I've added a lot of veggies back into my diet and one of my goals this year was to drink my 8 glasses of water a day, which I have been doing. I already am starting to feel so much better, but I'm noticing the detox already. Mild headaches (which could also be storm pressure), and I feel like I'm really cranky today. My poor family. :/

On Saturday we went to the Farmer's Market to stock up on veggies and I bought SO MANY veggies. I'm so excited for this. I really love veggies, and I could honestly eat salad every day if the other inhabitants didn't complain.

I get to eat things like this:


Sauted kale, red bell pepper, and mushrooms topped with a fresh egg from our girls and a side of hashbrowns fried in clarified butter (plus my vitamins and cod liver oil pills). So. Freaking. Tasty. Tonight we're having a roast chicken with butternut squash and brussel sprouts.

And the nice part is Ben is semi-on board so I'm not completely alone in this. He isn't jumping in all the way and giving up everything, but he's totally down for eating more veggies and less refined stuff. I've become so lax in my cooking lately, turning to pasta and breads for most of our meals and not very many veggies. Plus we always start craving fresh things at this time of year, and that helps.

I know it's going to be rough sometimes, but I'm excited for how I'll feel at the end. I'm ready to take my body back, my life back, and be healthy again.

1 comment:

  1. I am so excited for you!!! I am so glad you wrote something so I won't feed you poison next time I see you. ;) Which I was hoping would be soon, but this Wednesday Peter is having wisdom teeth out. So soon, I hope it makes you feel so much better. I know you will. Your food looks so yummy! Go Girl!!!

    ReplyDelete